Monday, May 3, 2010

Farmer George has chickens....


On Friday, April 30th, I rec'd a call from a neighbor. He had picked up some free chickens several weeks ago and the kids were loving them. However, he just got back from vacation and found out how big they were and were now done with them. I had told him I'd take them if it ever got to that point, so I was grateful he called. We now are proud parents to 8 Leg Horn chickens. I am trying to decide what type of chicken coop we'll build for them. I don't want to remove any of my grow boxes, so I'm thinking of perhaps building a tractor chicken coop, which has wheels and you move them around on your lawn so they fertilize it. This also puts them in the category of 'free range' chickens, which also enhances the flavor of their eggs (vs. only feeding them store bought chicken food).


My project for early next spring is to be ready to house our own swarm of honey bees!

No comments: